Top 9 Appealing Remote Software Companies for Remote Jobs
If you're looking for a remote software company to apply for a job, there are many companies that offer remote work options. We've compiled a list of the top 9 remote-friendly software companies. These firms allow employees to work from home, and sometimes even provide them with a laptop or tablet. If remote working is something you're interested in, it's worth checking out these remote job opportunities!
What is a fully remote company?
A fully remote company is a company that allows remote work (Fully Distributed Companies for example) and provides remote workers with their own equipment. Some companies provide remote employees with office supplies such as printers, while others only allow the use of personal laptops or phones for working remotely. It's also common that remote employees are expected to work in their pajamas or not at all:)
What is a partially remote company?
A partially remote company allows some workers to occasionally telecommute, but most of the time they have to go into an office and sit in front of a computer for eight hours each day. The US government classifies remote workers as those who work outside of their employer's office for more than 80% of the working time. Companies that offer remote opportunities but require employees to come into an office most days can be classified as partially remote companies.
How many remote employees do these software companies have?
Some of the best remote jobs are provided by large, fully remote tech firms. These top remote working companies provide a range of remote job opportunities from entry-level to executive positions in both non-technical and technical fields across all levels of seniority. The number of remote workers that work for these remote-friendly companies varies, but there are usually hundreds or even thousands of remote employees.
What skills do remote workers need?
Remote workers have to be self-motivated and able to complete tasks on their own without constant supervision. If you're looking for remote work opportunities it's important that you can manage your time effectively with no one to guide you. You should also have the ability to effectively communicate through remote collaboration tools such as Slack, Google Hangouts or Skype with co-workers and clients in an effective, timely manner.
There are some soft skills you'll need to work remotely as a software developer:
- First, you'll need to be able to communicate effectively through remote collaboration tools such as Slack, Google Hangouts or Skype with co-workers and clients in an effective, timely manner.
- Second, remote workers must also have the ability to manage their time on a remote schedule without constant supervision.
- Lastly, software developers that work remotely will need to know how to manage their remote work hours.
What are the best remote software companies?
The following list of remote job opportunities includes both fully remote tech companies (with employees working 100% remotely) and remote-friendly companies that allow some remote work. We've also included the number of remote employees for each company from data published by Glassdoor and Payscale, when available:
Best Remote Software Companies:
- InVision - With over 700 employees InVision provides a range of design tools to help users create mockups. The company has a remote-friendly company culture and self-describes as a remote worker first company. InVision provides remote employees with an Apple computer, unlimited vacation policy, open PTO policy and the ability to work from anywhere in the world on their own schedule.
- Adobe - A pioneer in the digital marketing space, Adobe is one of the top remote employer companies. The company has over 17k employees and provides remote workers with a laptop or tablet depending on their role within the company. Adobe also offers 100% paid medical/dental/vision premiums, generous 401(k) matching plan, employee assistance program, remote work program and company-wide events.
- IBM - IBM is one of the top remote companies that provides remote jobs for software engineers, developers and designers in over 170 countries around the world. The tech giant has an impressive benefits package including health insurance (medical/dental), retirement plans, adoption assistance & more!
- Apple - Apple is one of the best remote companies to work for with remote jobs in software engineering, iOS development and more. The company has a remote-friendly corporate culture that allows employees to set their own schedule as long as they get all of their projects finished within deadlines.
- Google - Google is known around the world for its remote job opportunities (for employees of its remote-friendly subsidiary companies). Google provides remote employees with a 15% bonus on top of the base salary, generous parental leave benefits & more.
- Microsoft - One of the best remote software companies to work for is Microsoft. Many of their jobs are in development and technical roles but they also have opportunities in marketing, product management and other remote positions. Microsoft provides remote employees with a $100k stipend for relocation expenses, office space allowance and the opportunity to earn yearly bonuses up to 15% of your base salary.
- Amazon - With remote jobs in software engineering, business operations and more this remote company is one of the best employers. The tech giant provides remote workers with a stock grant program, 401(k) plan & generous parental leave benefits.
- Wipro - One of India's largest information technology companies has jobs available for both non-technical and technical roles. Wipro provides remote employees with a laptop, unlimited vacation policy and the opportunity to work from anywhere in the world as long as they have good internet connectivity.
- Capital One - Capital one is well-known for its remote jobs including software engineering opportunities. The financial company has over 23k remote workers worldwide who enjoy an annual stock grant program, bonus plan and remote work policy.
What are remote companies like?
But remote companies come in all sizes. Some jobs are at small remote startups while others are with larger remote businesses who manage their marketing efforts across the world independent of a central office location.
Most remote job listings will spell out if they're hiring for full-time or part-time employees and what type of role is needed (e.Remote software companies tend to be small & medium-sized with open cultures).
For example, remote employees at Google can choose their own time schedule as long as they get all of the projects finished by deadlines. There are also remote jobs available in marketing and other roles so it's really up to the remote worker.
Can software developers work remotely?
Of course! There are remote jobs available for software engineers (both junior and senior) as well as other roles such as iOS development, marketing and more. Because remote employees have the ability to work from anywhere in the world they can set their own schedule and determine where they want to live. Also remote companies often offer remote-friendly corporate cultures with flexible schedules, open PTO policies and other perks.
But you have to remember that there can be some negatives to remote work. For one, remote workers often have to manage their own time and set deadlines for themselves so it can be challenging if you're not used to working that way or are new to jobs. Another downside is having less interaction with other employees in an office setting because remote workers don't get the same benefits as full-time onsite employees.
What do remote companies look for in candidates?
Remote software companies tend to be small & medium-sized with open cultures that allow employees to set their own schedule as long as they get all of the projects finished within deadlines. Most remote job listings will spell out if they're hiring for full-time or part-time employees and what type of role is needed.
While remote companies tend to be smaller in size you should still expect a remote job interview if the remote company posts a remote software developer position or other remote roles that they're hiring for at the time. Often, remote employers will have an initial phone call with candidates before inviting them onsite for remote software developer interviews or other remote job interviews.
Is remote work better than an office?
It's really up to the employee since remote jobs offer both pros and cons. For example, remote workers can avoid commuting time but they also don't get in-person networking opportunities or physical health benefits that come with working close to other employees at a company.
Some of the benefits remote workers enjoy is remote-friendly corporate cultures, flexible schedules & open PTO policies. There are also remote jobs available in software engineering and other roles so it's really up to the employee!
Do remote companies pay well?
Yes! Remote companies often offer competitive salaries with benefits such as health insurance (medical/dental), stock grant programs, remote work policy and more. For example, remote workers at Apple can earn yearly bonuses up to 15% of their base salary as well as the opportunity to take parental leave benefits.
Do remote companies offer free food?
Some remote software companies do provide meals for remote employees but it's not a common practice in the tech industry (at least not yet).
Can remote companies hire people from other countries?
Yes, remote software companies are often looking for international employees because they can work remotely anywhere in the world as long as they have a strong internet connection! Also remote workers who live close to an office location will be able to visit when needed but it's not required since remote jobs offer remote-friendly corporate cultures with remote office spaces.
Is remote work the future of software engineering?
Definitely! Remote jobs are growing in popularity because remote companies offer flexible schedules, remote PTO policies and open company cultures which makes for a more productive workforce overall. Plus, there are remote jobs available across all types of sectors including marketing, sales, design, finance and more.
For remote software companies the key is to attract remote workers with flexible schedules & open company cultures which makes for a productive workforce overall. Also remote jobs are growing in popularity because employees can live wherever they want while working remotely!
What is the best tech remote software company to work for?
This is not an easy question to answer since remote companies offer remote jobs in many different roles such as software engineering, marketing and more. The best tech company for remote work is really up to the employee!
Remote companies are great for remote jobs in software engineering, marketing and other roles. They also offer remote-friendly corporate cultures with flexible schedules & open PTO policies as well as competitive salaries, stock grants & bonuses.