A better place to work. Better work to do. Agile Six is a people-first,remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where talented people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
Agile Six is looking for a senior front-end software engineer who is looking to build user-friendly, mobile-ready, accessible, and secure UIs using modern techniques and best-practices, including continuous integration & testing and automated deployments in scalable cloud hosting environments. While the initial project will primarily focus on front-end work using React and the US Web Design System, the right candidate will be able to bring software development principles and best-practices to a range of problems, and be able to learn new tools, languages and frameworks as necessary. Most importantly, the right candidate will have a passion for working on important problems that have a lasting impact on millions of users and make a difference in our government!
The 'day to day' for you would be to -
- Collaborate to create toolsets and processes that can be leveraged by other engineers to securely integrate with RESTful service APIs and render that data on the frontend
- Guide the development of pattern libraries in order to create and maintain consistent and easily reusable components
- Perform peer code reviews
- Create and maintain an organized CSS class and file structure
- Securely integrate with RESTful service APIs
- Understand the technical "big picture" and be able to provide guidance on solution direction, architecture, and tool selection
- Proactively find and reduce technical debt (with a focus on tech debt that is frequently an impediment to the rest of the team)
- Understand and evaluate technical, resource, and timeline risks, be able to provide mitigation strategies and see them through.
- Contribute as part of a small cross-functional and distributed/remote Agile team working within a larger program in support of the VA.gov
- Work in an environment that requires both collaborative and independent efforts as needed in a fast-paced, highly skilled environment with like-minded individuals
- Participate in Agile ceremonies, including daily standup meetings, backlog grooming and planning, sprint reviews, and retrospectives
- Communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders to determine requirements and solutions
We're looking for a person who ...
- Has solid knowledge of front-end engineering patterns and common challenges faced in enterprise-sized front-end systems
- Has a teaching/mentoring mindset, especially with non-technical colleagues and stakeholders (be able to explain technical concepts to non-technical people in a clear and understandable way)
- Has sufficient self-awareness and trust in their teammates to recognize when they're stuck and need help, and is willing to reach out to teammates rather than continuing down a potentially unproductive path
- Embraces an open ethos and is comfortable working and communicating “in the open,” including contributing to open source repositories, opening new issues and participating in open/public discussions.
- Can develop, maintain, and deploy code using GitHub, Jenkins, and Github Actions
- Has experience using automated tests to validate software and build behavior, as well as writing testable code
- Believes in exploring alternatives and can quickly build prototypes to validate ideas and help iterate on concepts
- Builds and forms strong relationships with the internal team and external partners
- Is adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and holds a positive mindset
Minimum qualifications that you bring -
- At least seven (7) years of experience as a software engineer
- Understanding of common design patterns
- Experience working in different areas of the software stack and solving a variety of engineering problems throughout their career
- Experience in an open-source, collaborative development environment
It would be a benefit if you also brought these to the table -
- Familiarity with the US Web Design System
- Experience working with Government agencies
- You are a U.S. Veteran
Our benefits are designed to reinforce our core values of Wholeness, Self Management and Inclusion. The following benefits are all available to all employees, but you will be expected to largely manage them yourself. We respect that only you know what balance means for your life and season. While we offer support from coaches, we expect you to own your wholeness, show up for work whole, and go home to your family the same. You will be seen, heard and valued. We expect you to offer the same for your colleagues, be kind (not bossy), be caring (not directive) and ready to participate in a state of flow. We mean it when we say “We build better by putting people first”.
All Sixers Enjoy:
- Self-managed work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive and equitable salary (equal pay for equal work)
- Tenure-based profit sharing
- Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) for all employees!
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Self-managed and generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Election day off
- Self-managed professional development budget
- Self-managed wellness days
The salary for this position is $140,941 - $155,777
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.
If you need assistance or reasonable accommodation in applying for any of these positions, please reach out to [email protected] We want to ensure you have the ability to apply for any position at Agile Six and are happy to assist with your application.
Please read and respond to the application questions carefully. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.