Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
, ART (UTC -3)
, UTC -4
, UTC -4:30
, UTC -3
, UTC -2
, AST (UTC -4)
, NST (UTC -3:30)
Proton builds software & services that power over 2000 independent electronic music labels, with over 1M plays per day on Spotify alone. Our core business is digital music distribution: helping our clients deliver their catalog to DJ stores like Beatport and streaming platforms like Spotify, while also helping them monetize on social media networks like YouTube & Facebook. We're also the #1 provider of DJ Mixes to Spotify and Apple Music!
The crew that runs Proton also run their own record labels, produce their own tracks, and many of us are DJs too. We're passionate about music and have built Proton to help solve problems that we face every day as music makers and lovers ourselves. Meet the team here!
About the Role
As a small company, most of Proton’s team wears many hats and take on a range of responsibilities. For this position, we’re looking for a senior Dev Ops/Infrastructure Back-End Engineer to help improve and maintain various aspects of our infrastructure, content operations, and API.
Our ideal candidate has solid Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes experience and can help take our infrastructure to the next level in terms of scalability, performance, and resilience, while also open to work in Ruby & PHP.
You’ll help develop & maintain…
- Content Infrastructure - powering content operations for over 2,000 music labels. This includes micro services for audio encoding, file handling, and delivery to other music platforms like Spotify, Beatport, etc.
- Analytics Infrastructure - powering daily reporting of millions of sales and streams for our artists and music labels, from Spotify, YouTube, etc.
- API Modernization - Help migrate legacy vanilla PHP endpoints and components to Rails, Laravel, or new languages/frameworks suitable for the job.
Requirements & Nice to Haves
- Know your way around Linux and the Unix shell.
- Experience in either Ruby/Rails or PHP/Laravel, open to working with both languages.
- Experience with Google Cloud Services or similar cloud providers.
- Experience writing unit tests and integration tests.
- Experience with relational databases (SQL).
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- [Nice to have] Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools like Ansible, Chef, Terraform, etc.
- Google Cloud Legacy Servers
- Redis Resque
- Circle CI, GitHub, Cypress, Pest
Work Environment: 100% Remote & Independently Motivated
Proton is a fully remote organization, so candidates must be comfortable & able to thrive without in person collaboration or a high level of daily social interactions. Our engineering team is entirely based in North/South America, so time zones are generally aligned. We organize our work in Asana, Slack, and GitHub.
Flexible Full Time, Supporting Lifestyle Design
Proton is committed to supporting lifestyle design & personal freedom for our team. While we have several full time salaried team members working 5 days a week, we also have contractors working flexible 15-30 hour weeks, or full time staff that work 4 days and take Friday off. We’re intentionally flexible to find a schedule that helps you thrive.
This position is full time, in that we require candidates to not have any other paid engineering work. However, it doesn’t need to be a salaried 5 day a week job: we’re also open to contractors who want a flexible schedule, but don't want to commit to a full 5 day work week.
Self-Starters & Creative Problem Solvers
We’re a team of self-starters who are not afraid to jump into new systems we don’t understand, come up with a proposed solution before asking for help, and always open to trying & learning new things. We’re looking for like minded engineers to join us.
A culture of electronic music lovers & makers.
Many of Proton’s team are also DJs, producers, or label managers. While not a must-have, we’re looking for engineers who are also passionate about electronic music. Each year, our team attends the annual Amsterdam Dance Event together and ideally candidates for this position would be excited to join us on the trip!
We’re looking for engineers who align with Proton’s core values of growing sustainably, leading with integrity & vision, and a love respect for the music. In practice, this means our company doesn’t aim to grow rapidly at the cost of compromising our values: we often prioritize engineering projects that keep Proton aligned with our values over other projects that might make our work easier & make the company more money. This is key for candidates to understand and embrace.