Bloom is a full-service workplace design consultancy representing MedMe on their search for their next Senior Back-End Engineer to join their team. As Talent Advisors, we will be the liaison between MedMe and yourself during this recruitment process. We do not use fancy tech to search through resumes at Bloom; every resume is reviewed by a human to ensure that we attain a consistent and equitable interview process. You will directly join the team at MedMe if you are selected as the successful candidate. We look forward to receiving your application!
Hi, I’m Rui and I’m the Co-Founder and Chief Clinical Officer of MedMe. I’m a pharmacist, and despite a $200k Doctor of Pharmacy degree, I still spend most of my time writing notes by hand and fielding phone calls for refills. When in fact, pharmacists can directly prescribe meds (like birth control), adjust diabetes/heart medications, give over 20 different vaccines/injections, and much more!
I was almost ready to leave my profession when I met my co-founders Purya & Nick. Purya was a health data scientist for the government and Nick a product engineer for the Tesla Roadster. They’d watched their own parents struggle with managing 10 medications and were equally passionate about using pharmacists to provide more services for patients in the community.
Together, we identified the biggest problem to be existing pharmacy software built 20 years ago with the primary purpose to sell drugs. So, we built MedMe.
Our mission & vision
MedMe’s mission is to build an all-in-one cloud-based platform that empowers pharmacists to schedule, document, and manage clinical services at scale. MedMe’s clients include the 2 largest pharmacy chains in Canada, servicing 3000 pharmacies, and powering over ~14M patient services, including playing a critical role across the country throughout the pandemic. MedMe’s ultimate vision is to transform pharmacies from today’s dispensing locations to tomorrow’s health hubs.
MedMe has raised over $3.7M USD to date including from M12 (Microsoft’s Venture Fund), MaRS IAF, and Y-Combinator. 💡
- Building web applications using NodeJS using GraphQL and a Postgres database on AWS infrastructure
- Architecting and re-factoring entire platform to NodeJS with microservices and message queuing
- Building web applications using React and Java (and NodeJS & Typescript soon) using GraphQL and a Postgres database on AWS infrastructure.
- Collaborating on the key technology decisions to shape the architecture and product roadmap.
- Sharing your depth and breadth of knowledge through peer mentorship.
- Taking an active role in developing our team and maintaining a quality codebase through code reviews, sprint planning, and retrospectives.
- Working with code and project management tools such as JIRA/Confluence.
As an example, here are some projects you could expect to work on:
- Creating new patient and pharmacist flows (eg. intakes, modules, features) to meet the needs of both our national enterprises and mom-and-pop pharmacy partners.
- Responding to urgent COVID-19 feature requirements balancing process, platform stability, and the urgency required.
- Working with 3rd party digital health platforms (eg. archaic EHRs/pharmacy software, remote monitoring devices) to facilitate integration and data interoperability that allows pharmacists to deliver more personalized, proactive care.
Your tech stack
- Microservices with NodeJS
- Messaging Queue such as Kafka
- SQL - Postgres database
- AWS infrastructure (nice-to have)
- Logging, Elastic Search, Redis Caching (nice-to-have)
- NoSQL DB (DynamoDB or Mongo DB) - (nice-to-have)
What you bring to the table
- You are an experienced full-stack engineer with more than a few years of experience focused on the back-end.
- (^ We don’t believe in years of experience, however, a typical senior member on our team has 5 years)
- You are a team player and you enjoy working with your fellow team members to work through the ideas, problems,
- You have a growth mindset and you seek out opportunities to grow.
- Your communication style is open, concise, and effective; you can easily explain technical concepts to non-technical parties.
- You care about the product and about the end-user.
- You are a process-builder; we enjoy working with engineers who are ready to help improve our processes and make them more scalable.
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed above. We believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and are excited about this opportunity, then we want to hear from you!
How We Hire
Like Bloom, MedMe committed to a fair and equitable hiring process for all candidates. To ensure that each candidate’s journey is consistent and the selection process is unbiased, the team at MedMe will not be responding to any personal messages regarding this role or other opportunities.
The Interview Process
Step 1: Phone screen with a Talent Advisor from Bloom
Step 2: Virtual 60-minute technical interview with one of our Engineers
Step 3: Virtual 60-minute interview with the 3 Founders, Rui Su, Purya Sarmadi, and Nicholas Hui.
Step 4: Conduct References.
Step 5: Offer.
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire on-boarding will be conducted virtually.
Annual Salary ranges from $95,000 CAD to $150,000 CAD
Perks at MedMe
- Equity from 0.1% to 1%, depending on experience and impact
- Flexible health benefit plan - Full dental, vision, physical & mental health plus health spending account
- Performance development support (yearly budget for courses & conferences)
- Annual allowance to spend on tech and equipment
We are fully remote in Canada, however, we like to plan quarterly on-site team retreats!
Like Bloom, MedMe is a proud equal opportunity workplace that is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We’re looking for motivated and compassionate people who can execute from the ground up and support the work that MedMe believes in.
MedMe is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please share in your application or email email@example.com.